Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Pinterest for School Libraries


I started using Pinterest a while ago but never really got into it. Most of the pinners I followed were my stay-at-home mom Facebook friends and they seemed to follow recipes, crafts, and those funny/sarcastic greeting e-cards that are always going viral on social media sites. Although it was cool and creative, it just wasn't my thing. Now that I've gone back to work full time as a school librarian, following my crafty friends on Pinterest just made me feel like I wasn't channeling my inner Martha. 

Recently, however, Pinterest was reintroduced to me in an SLJ article from an educator perspective and I think it really makes sense for me. According to the article, pinterest is "fast becoming a powerful resource where teachers and students share images, store lesson plans, read about current events, watch video clips and collect their favorite apps." This sounds like a useful tool for sharing and organizing links. In fact, I set up a Pinterest account just for professional use and created 4 boards- New Books (In my library), Library Stuff, Education - General, and Library Media Technology.  I also shared this account and info in an article I wrote for my monthly School Library Newsletter that I send out to my entire staff. 

Are you using Pinterest? Follow me.



No comments:

Post a Comment